Managed by United Way of Berks County, Ready.Set.READ! (RSR) prepares kids for school and boosts third grade reading skills. This initiative is a tremendous community commitment focused on a common goal…providing our children an opportunity to succeed through reading.
Since its creation in 2012, thousands of children across Berks County have benefited from Ready.Set.READ! programs. These are just some of the ways RSR is making an impact:
- Preschool teachers are becoming stronger educators
- Trained tutors are working with struggling readers to help them improve their vocabulary skills and increase their interest in reading
- Students and families are expanding their home libraries
Why Third Grade Reading?
Third grade reading proficiency is a critical component of learning and an indicator of long-term educational and life outcomes. Yet 50% of third-graders throughout Berks County are reading below grade level. That means that more than 2,000 children in our community – in urban, rural and suburban schools – are four times more likely to drop out of school and 13 times more likely to drop out if they also live in poverty. They are less likely to develop skills essential for contributing to the 21st Century economy and less likely to be effective citizens.
Our Guiding Principles
- All children can learn and succeed
- Parents and/or primary caregivers are the first and most important teachers of their children
- Our children’s success depends on a focused, collaborative effort by parents, schools, universities/colleges, government, non-profit agencies, faith-based groups and public and private businesses
- Early literacy development is critical to lifelong learning, success and personal fulfillment
Our Board of Directors
The work of Ready.Set.READ! is guided by a volunteer Board of Directors. Learn more about the wide cross-section of community leaders who are leading the charge to improve early grade reading success in Berks County.
2018/2019 Ready.Set.READ! Report